Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Search for a New Phone Service is on

So, as I stated in the most recent post at my family blog, our VOIP service, SunRocket, pulled the plug to all their customers on Monday without warning. So I am in the hunt for a new service. Vonage is still more expensive than I am willing to pay, so we probably still won't switch to the giant of VOIP. But I did find a service called ViaTalk. Their price is the same as SunRocket's was ($199/year) and with comparable and more features! They are also offering free shipping of their Internet-to-phone adapter to ex-SunRocket members! It is looking promising so far. But in the pressure to save more money I am also looking at Skype: for only about $25/year you can have similar service. You lose the 911 feature (which we have with our cell phones), but then you have added SMS functionality which may be a plus... e.g. Heidi at home with Skype phone in one hand, holding Makayla in the other hand, can still be chatting with me while I am at work, and she doesn't have to sit down at the computer to do it :D. So, we will weigh the Pros and Cons and see what works best for us. I will bring my findings to the table as my research progresses.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As SunRocket has gone out of business, I think it would be cheaper to sign up with Lingo’s $195 annual calling plan. Though SunRocket has directed their customers to go with either Packet8 or TeleBlend, but I choose to go with Lingo because of their Primus connection and special deals for SunRocket customers. Along with basic and advanced calling features, they are presently offering free in-network unlimited calling opportunities for their own subscribers, free online account management and money back guarantee.

Unknown said...

Lingo offers special deals for new customers. Switch to Lingo and save even more on your current phone bill. Sign up now and get 1 month free usage, free shipping, free equipment, free activation and more. This offer is available on all its business and residential calling plans. Labor Day Special Offer – 3 months free + free equipment on Chatter Box Plan has now extended to 7th Sept, 2007.